Telugu at Temple
Teaching Telugu language was started at Vidya Vikas, DFW Hindu temple by Ananda Murthy Kuchibhotla garu in 1997-98. He requested me to take over in the year 2000. I had the privilege of being the teacher and coordinator to Telugu language for over the past 20 years.
A number of parents have helped in taking the classes and providing invaluable service to this program.
This year Pallavi Thotapalle garu is taking the online classes and dedicating her time.
We are teaching Telugu to students of 5 and up years and our curriculum is as follows.
We mainly focus on speaking, reading and writing Telugu. Storytelling and children will participate in plays (naatakaalu) narrating a story of Paramanda Sishyulu, Pancha tantram etc. Recite poems by expressing its meanings involve them in games like jeopardy.
For over the last 15 years we are using the textbooks, the set of “Telugu Abhyasa Deepika” and got permission from its publishers and AP education department to use them here at our VV. Gayathri Vedantam, one of our teachers at that time was instrumental in referring these textbooks and getting approval through proper authorities.
- Level I– Telugu alphabet is introduced to pronounce and write. Also teach to recite Vemana poems and know the meaning of each poem. Then we introduce them the very common two and three letter words without any Guninthaalu or vottulu. Simulataneously introduce them the names of flowers, fruits, vegetables, birds and animals.
- Level II– Guninthaalu are introduced and develop vocabulary with guninthaalu. Students will learn to pronounce, read and write words with guninthallu and simple sentences with few words. Also teach to recite poems from Sumathi Sathakam and know the meaning of each poem.
- Level III– Vottulu are introduced and develop vocabulary with guninthaalu, and vottulu. Students will learn to pronounce, read and write words with guninthallu and vottulu and read and write sentences. Also teach to recite poems from Dasarathi Sathakam and Bhaskara Sathakamand know the meaning of each poem.
- Level IV– Emphasize on reading and writing words containing guninthalu, vottulu and able to read and write stories. Telugu grammar like Sandhulu and Samasamulu. Also teach to recite poems from Bhagavatham and know the meaning of each poem.
At every level, children will also learn grammar like present tense, past tense, singular, plural etc.
Several competitions will be help like reciting poems, narrating stories, plays and jeopardy.
I sincerely thank all the below teachers who contributed invaluable time and helped in teaching Telugu to the children at VV. Please pardon me if I forget any one other teachers’ names and contact me and I will add your names.
Also sincere thanks to several parents for substituting in the hours of need and in technical support.
Annapurna K Nehru Coordinator 2000 to present
Past teachers: Teachers who contributed (or contributing invaluable services)
- Pallavi Thotapalle ( Virtually teaching at present )
- Chandra Mouli Pamasolalal
- Srinivas Prabhala
- Sri Ram Vedula
- Srinivas Bhamidipaty
- Janaki Ayyagari
- SriRam Devata
- Shanti Garimella ( Devara)
- Sudha Rallabandi
- Ramakrishna …
- Padmaja Marla
- Gayathri Vedantam
- Prashanti Nayudu
- Renuka Samudrala
- Sujatha Voora
- Rajeswari Rao Gummaraju
- Ananda Murthy Kuchibhotla
and a few other substitute teachers.